Saturday, April 12, 2008

Woods on South located in Charlotte, NC

Yesterday I had an opportunity to visit Woods on South Located at 2100 South Blvd in Charlotte, NC. I enjoy trying different restaurants. What lured me to this restaurant was the fact that it features Carolina Cuisine by Celebrity Chef Marvin Woods. To help you picture him he’s the African American Chef that wears a scarf on his head. He hosted “Home plate” on the Turner South network.

The advertisement for his restaurant quotes: “Chef Marvin Woods’ dishes are light, sophisticated & exotic!” -Oprah

So with the succulent description of the menu items and celebrity endorsement how can you go wrong?

Woods on South is in the building that was formerly occupied by South End Brewery. So for the connoisseurs of Micro-Brewed beers Carolina Beer Company has taken over. I would also like to mention that they offer beer tasting and tours daily.

We started out with a chicken and andouille sausage gumbo. Never having had gumbo before I thought I was in store for a rare treat. I found the gumbo to be so-so. It lacked flavor and spice. I would even have to go as far as to say it was bland.

Then we proceeded to try an appetizer “The Hallelujah Hot Wings” sounded as if they would be something to sing about. However, I didn’t find myself humming nor tapping my foot. I thought the chicken wings were a little undercooked. The chicken skin was a bit too soft for my taste. As far as flavor there was none. But it was hot. Hot like someone squirted hot sauce on the wings before they came out of the kitchen.

For my entrée I tried the Ashley Farms (NC) Flash Fried Chicken with Mac n 3 cheese and vegetarian braised collard greens. I would give the Mac n 3 cheese 3 out of 5 stars. The vegetarian braised collard greens seemed to be little overpowered by vinegar. I’m thinking maybe cooking them with bacon or smoked turkey offsets the vinegary taste.

I did enjoy the Flash Fried Chicken it was piping hot, fresh, properly seasoned with a lot of crispy crunch.

I have three categories in which I put a dining experience in.

1. Recommended – Meaning I would eat there again and recommend it to others.
2. Toss up – Means you have to decide for yourself by visiting the establishment.
3. Drive By – Means keep on driving pass the restaurant.

So which category does Woods on South fall in? I would put it in Toss up. If you have visited Woods on South leave me a comment letting me know your opinion.

Until next time bon appétit!

0 comments: